top of page

Active Student

Maintaining Status

  • Carry a full course of study (12 Units for Undergraduate, 9 Units for Graduate, and 8 units for D.Min) per semester.

  • Only one online course may count towards the minimum credit requirement per semester.

  • Hybrid classes (a mixed online/ in-person course) do not count towards your online course limit.

  • If you only need one course to complete your program of study, the course has to be on campus.

  • Attend and pass all your classes. If classes are too difficult, contact your Designated Student Official (DSO) and Department Chair.

  • DO NOT drop classes without speaking with your DSO.

  • If you believe that you are unable to complete your program by the end date listed on your Form I-20, talk with your DSO about requesting a program extension.

  • A F-1 student may only work when authorized by a DSO in some cases (on-campus work), and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in others. If you choose to work without clearance, you will be forced to leave the United States. You may not be able to re-enter the U.S. at a later date.

Academic and Attendance Policies

  • At Bethesda University, satisfactory progress towards a degree is required. Failure to achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0 for two semesters may result in dismissal and termination of the Form I-20.

  • Bethesda University requires class attendance for credit. A minimum rate of 80% attendance is required for course credit, even if the absences are excused.

  • Failure to attend a class 3 consecutive times will automatically drop you from that course with a ‘WD.’ This may jeopardize your I-20 status.

  • Four or more absences in a class will automatically give you an ‘F.’ This may also jeopardize your I-20 status.

Travel Signature Requirement

  • You must have a valid I-20 Travel Endorsement on your Form I-20 to return to the U.S. after going abroad.

  • Each Signature is valid for one year.

  • A travel signature must be issued by your DSO to confirm that you are maintaining F1 student status.

When to Contact your DSO:

  • Any changes to legal name, U.S. address, country of citizenship, immigration status, field of study, level of education, expected completion date, source of funding, or F-2 dependent information

  • Before or after traveling outside of the U.S.

  • Request for leave of absence or authorization to drop below full course

bottom of page